Thursday, May 5, 2011

Oh the rain!

Aloha!

So much has transpired since I last wrote.
-I started my job.
-There has been torrential rain, water spouts, flash floods, horrible traffic (that's standard and totally not dependent on rain. Just made worse by rain).
-Test drove a couple of cars.
Ummm....I can't remember much more than that.
Well, job. Job's going great! The people I work with are wonderful. Definitely a bunch of characters. They've already recruited me for their kickball team. And they've roped me into a Canstruction project. And all before the end of my first week! :)

Rain...it's been raining every day since we've been here. Good parts: It's 81 degrees and raining and the sun is shining. We've seen a rainbow, more often a double rainbow, everyday now. They are big, bright, and brilliant! Along with the rain, one day, there was a crazy thunder/lightening storm. The newspaper said there were over 40,000 cloud-to-ground lightening strikes in a 30-hour period. It was a pretty nice show to watch. Bad part: The people out here CANNOT drive in the rain. I mean, the literally stop in the middle of the road when it starts raining all of a sudden. It's like Californians driving in Utah snow. Except worse, because there are a bunch of crazy Asian drivers out here. And a lot of them are old. It doesn't help that traffic is really bad on a normal basis. But throw the rain in and it's chaos. I guess I'm just going to have to get use to it.

In the meantime, Joe's been taking it easy. Hiking, snorkeling, taking me to work, picking me up, doing a little bit of work sprinkled in between. He's been sending me photos while I've working. You can see them below.

Rainbow!

Near the Halona Blow Hole

Down the cliff where the previous picture was taken. Some fishermen setup shop here. And, hey....there's Joe's finger!

A shrine at the fishing site.

The blow hole while it's blowing

At the tabernacle

Tabernacle

At the tabernacle grounds

So we've decided not to purchase a new car out here. Yup...it's been decided that financially more prudent to just ship the car over to Honolulu. Thank goodness that I have a wonderful brother-in-law that's willing to get it ready to ship, drive it over to Long Beach, and drop it off for shipping! Thanks, Jeff!!!! So in the mean time, Joe returned the Jeep (I'm sure he shed a tear or two)and picked up the new rental. You can see what we got int he picture below. Yup...no more 4-wheeling for Joe.

The new rental car

Sorry if some of the pictures are sideways....I didn't realize that they were that way. And to reformat them isn't an issue. It's the uploading that is. Internet isn't that awesome out here and it takes a long time to upload just a single picture. So either turn your computer monitor or turn your head sideways. :) I'll make sure that future pictures are orientated in the correct direction before I upload them. :)

Ok...That's all for now! Gotta get ready for more fun at work tomorrow! Bye!

3 comments:

  1. Loving the blog! Keep it up - it looks so exciting. I want to move to Hawaii! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Joey is having a great time while you're working lol! We saw on the news that you guys had some crazy weather..hope all is well in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO glad you started a blog so I can keep up to date on you two!! Looks heavenly!!

    ReplyDelete